Cloud storage services back up your files and gives you access from multiple devices
Most households have multiple computing devices these days – such as desktops, laptops, smartphones and tablet portable devices – and many want the ability to synchronize files between their devices.
There are many companies that offer cloud (aka “over the internet”) syncing and storage services. In this article I highlight 3 of the most popular – Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox. All 3 of these services will backup and sync one folder and any sub-folders within it. Your computer can be configured to store your pre-existing folders of Documents, Pictures. Music, etc. inside the synced folder. Since the files are accessible from multiple devices and your personal web site means that those files are backed up and accessible should one or more of your devices become damaged, lost or stolen.
Some of the main features and benefits of the services include:
- 2-15 GB of online storage for free, with paid plans for more storage as needed.
- Automatically syncs when new files or changes are detected.
- Work on files even if you’re temporarily not connected to the Internet. Your changes sync once your computer has an Internet connection again.
Other features included in many of the services include:
- Shared folders allow several people to collaborate on a set of files.
- You can see other people’s changes instantly.
- Control who is able to access shared folders (including ability to block people and remove the shared files from their computers).
- Automatically create shareable online photo galleries from folders of photos.
- Automatic backup of your files.
- Undelete files and folders.
- Restore previous versions of your files.
Internet Access Security & Privacy
- Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite.
- All files stored on servers are encrypted and are inaccessible without your account password, and file transfers are encrypted via SSL
- Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable.
Mobile Device Access
- Access your files on the go with applications for iOS, Android and Windows Phone.
- Download files for offline viewing.
Contact Computer Techs if you need help selecting and setting up an appropriate file sync service for your needs. We can also install it on all of your devices, and show you how to use it.Print This Article