Smart assistants are all the rage these days, with everyone from Amazon to Apple to Google getting in on the action. But what are they, really?
In a nutshell, smart speakers are voice-controlled assistants that can perform tasks, answer questions, play music, and control smart devices in your home. But, before you can start issuing commands to your new device, you need to set it up.
This can seem like a daunting task, but we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of setting up and configuring your new smart speaker, as well as some tips on how to get the most out of it.
You’re about to enter a world of hands-free convenience and voice-activated fun.
Things You’ll Need
To set up your new smart speaker, you’ll need the following:
- The smart speaker itself
- A mobile device – such as a smartphone or tablet
- A Wi-Fi connection
Setting Up Your Smart Speaker
While there are plenty of options available in the smart speaker market, the three most popular options are the Amazon Echo, the Google Home, and the Apple HomePod. The process of setting up your speaker will vary a bit depending on which one you’ve chosen, but generally, it involves downloading an app and following the instructions.
It really is that simple.
The steps to get your new smart speaker up and running will usually look something like this:
- Download the mobile app for your smart speaker. This is essential for initial setup and for configuring many of the speaker’s features.
- Open the app and create an account. Many manufacturers require you to create an account with them before setting up your device. This makes it easy to manage multiple devices as well as access your devices from outside your network.
- Follow the instructions on the app to complete the setup process. This will generally involve things like connecting your mobile device to the smart speaker so it can connect it to your Wi-Fi network as well as giving your new assistant a name.
- Start exploring! Once your speaker is set up, you can start issuing commands and asking questions.
Be sure to explore the app to learn about all the different things your smart speaker can do.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Smart Speaker
Now that you’ve got your smart speaker up and running, it’s time to start putting it to use. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your new voice-controlled assistant:
- Take advantage of hands-free convenience. One of the best things about smart speakers is that they allow you to accomplish tasks without ever having to lift a finger. In addition to being able to control smart devices in your home, many smart speakers also have built-in voice control features that allow you to do things like set timers, add items to your shopping list, and check the weather. So, take advantage of that hands-free convenience and use your voice to control as many things as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. The best way to learn what your smart speaker is capable of is to experiment with it. So, start issuing commands and asking questions and see what happens. You might be surprised at just how much your smart speaker can do.
- Keep your speaker updated. Like all devices, smart speakers need to be kept up-to-date with the latest software to function properly. Most manufacturers make it easy to check for and install updates right from the mobile app.
- Make sure everyone in your household is on the same page. It can be helpful to sit down with everyone in your home and agree on a few basic rules for using the smart speaker. For example, you might want to establish that only one person can talk to the speaker at a time or that the speaker should only be used for certain tasks.
- Don’t forget to pause when “waking up” your device. Every device has a trigger word or phrase – such as “Echo” or “Hey Google”. Don’t forget to pause for a second after speaking the trigger so that your speaker has time to wake up and start listening for your command. Most devices have a light that will illuminate or change color when it’s ready to listen to you.
Start Enjoying the Convenience of a Smart Speaker
By taking the time to set up your smart speaker and getting familiar with its features, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying all the convenience and fun it has to offer. They are a great way to add convenience and fun to any home. Every day, these devices are becoming more and more advanced, so it’s worth taking the time to set one up in your home.
If you have any other questions or need help with your smart speaker don’t hesitate to contact us!